Migrating FM from Mac to WIN

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hooklahoma:

Welcome to the Forums.

I can't remember if FM 3 was available for Windows, so don't know if the file format will open in FMP7 in Windows. However, if the old FMP 6 demo is still available on the FMI site (or elsewhere), you could just download that, open the FM 3 file on your Mac on that, then save it as an .fp5 file, and that file should convert fine on the Windows box. Just remember that any AppleScripts in your solution will no longer work.

-Stanley

In relation to what Lee said, I think you shouldn't need FMP 6 on the Mac. You *should* be able to open (i.e., convert) your old files from FMP 7 directly. Perhaps I'm wrong, and I know there's a huge document regarding the conversion process on FMI's site (which I've read, but without paying attention to anything regarding cross-platform 3 to 7 conversions), but have you tried to simply open the files from FMP 7 in Windows, to see if the conversion process begins?

-Stanley

Well, the conversion went well. All i had to do was add the .fm3 extention to the original mac file. The only problem is that the new converted file is asking for a username and password. The original file is password protected but it never asked me for a username. I used the name the original software was registered to and the password usergroup and it didnt accept either. Im going to try to remove passwords from the database on the original software and try the migration again.

Thanks for the help

Hooklahoma:

In a newly converted file, I believe that you enter the old password into both the username and password fields. Previous versions didn't have a username in the password protection scheme.

-Stanley

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.