Play Flash file in Container field.

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have inserted a Flash file into a FileMaker 7.0 v3 Container field on a layout. I would like the file to begin playing when the layout is loaded. A button on another field runs a script that does run the Flash file, but doesn't actually let you see it happen.

If I use the following script steps; when I press the button, FileMaker waits for a moment, then navigates to the other layout where the Flash file has already finished playing. IF the Flash file has sound in it, I can hear the sound playing during the "wait."

Go to Layout ["tryFlash"]

Go to Field [select/perform; tryFlash::flashContainer]

If I use the following script steps; when I press the button, FileMaker navigates to the other layout, pauses with the first frame of the Flash file onscreen, then shows the control bar at the bottom of the container field already finished.

Go to Layout ["tryFlash"]

Refresh Window []

Pause/Resume Script [Duration(seconds): .5]

Go to Field [select/perform; tryFlash::flashContainer]

IS there a way to play a Flash file contained in a Container Field upon navigating to a layout?

Thank you for any help you might give,

Nancy

Nancy:

Curious behavior. I can't make flash files, so I can't test this scenario. Is there any reason that you're using the flash format instead of, say, the native QuickTime format? I ask because .mov seems to behave fine (at least where I've used it).

If you'd like to upload an example, I'm sure plenty of us would like to take a crack at it.

-Stanley

Nancy:

After playing around with this for a while, I believe your problem has something to do with the fact that the movie is a Flash file. I inserted a regular QuickTime .mov file, and your script operates as expected. I have to wonder if this has something to do with the Flash (QuickTime/Wired) format, as the script step Go to Field [select/perform; tryFlash::flashContainer] is the equivalent of double-clicking on the container field (i.e., in the Flash window, which has clickable zones.)

As I said before, I can't create Flash movies, so I can't test this with another one. I suggest you grab a few other Flash files and see if the same behavior applies to all of them. Also, make sure that this works correctly with a regular .mov file.

I suspect you've stumbled onto a bug in FMP 7.

-Stanley

Nancy:

I have to wonder if it is something to do with the movie file, still. Every other .mov file I put in there works fine. However, I've tried the following and it makes no difference: turn auto-play off in the file, turn of mouse-capture in the file. Behavior doesn't change. So, perhaps it is a bug in FMP7, to do with Flash media (because QuickTime still sees this as a Flash track, even though it is a .mov file.)

One more suggestion. Make sure you're running the latest version of FMP, which is 7.0v3

-Stanley

As a game developer I have to make sure that my Flash movies are exported in version 5 format to play properly through QuickTime 6.x. Check the version format that you're exporting the Flash file at. It needs to be 5 or below.

This topic is 7013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.