Restricting Remote Access

goldcougar

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have ports opened in the firewall so Filemaker can be access from anywhere. All of the databases are password protected, but I would like to be able to restrict which accounts can login from the outside. So, some users can login while at work, but can't get in from home, but allow others to get in from both.

Is there a way to do that?

If your home users have static IP addresses, you can block the ones you want to block, using OS commands. You can also deny remote access to certain users, again by using OS commands. So, this is really not an FM Server issue.

Blocking by ip addresses will not work. We have traveling salesmen that need access from the outside, so their IP is always changing.

The problem is that the get(ipaddress) function doesn't return the WAN ip, instead it returns the local ip on whatever network they are on. So, I can't tell if someone is logging in from the outside, or inside.

Howdy! I haven't done it but maybe you could block external FM connections and have your remote users access through another method, e.g. using remote access products or virtual network connections instead of FILE > OPEN > HOSTS or OPEN REMOTE.

--ST

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.