Tables and relationships

MnR

This topic is 7019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Are you referring to having a separate file which only contains the interface, but not any of the data? If that's what you mean, do a search for "Separation Model"

Using file references, you can have a file which has no data, but simply refers to data in another file.

No what i mean is a table which displays the data from the other tables. And would not have to be inputed i want to basically create a table of information from information in other tables. When i do the linking, when i look at the table, it contains no data (which should be retrieved from other tables) and says i need to insert a record. maybe i need to change the = or something?

If there are no records in your "display table" then you can't have data in any of the fields that are used in the relationship to the other table. Unless the fields in your dislplay table are global fields....

Try changing the field options->storage tab to global storage.

That's what a global field is supposed to do... it carries the same value for all records. I use a layout with only global fields in one of my solutions for the purposes of data entry. The data in the global fields is used in a script which creates/edits records in a related table. The global layout is tied to a table which has no data.

Is there data in both of the tables in your relationship? Maybe you could post the file so it would be easier to see what you're doing.

its just 1 pesky field which is annoying me, basically to solve it i need a way to insert it when the user selects an ID of turkey so that the weight follows the ID into the new table. Posted in the scripts section to see if there is a script solution.

This topic is 7019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.