Calculated field oddly stops working any ideas?

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have 2 tables, among others, they are tasks - invoiceLine Items table.

I have a relation between the two and in the Tasks table i have a calculated field, which is unstored and sums up all the invoice line item records for each task. So, each time an invoice is request is entered, when you look at the tasks table, you'll see the "Total_Paid" field in each record of all the invoice line item records entered with the id in it. This has all worked fine - in a multi-user environment for awhile.

For some reason, which I'm trying to determine and I hope maybe someone has seen this.

The other day the Total_Paid field stopped showing/summing. Of course, the line items were there, but it wasn't summing them up anymore. I had imported the current data into a new database and we were using that. The same data was put back in as was there before and the backup copy i had worked fine too upon testing it.

We stopped the server, restarted and it was working again.

any ideas why this might happen? OR has anybody ever seen this before and if so, what did you do?

It was just a little "twlight zoneish", so I thought I'd ask the forum.

thanks,

Sincerely,

J__

Did you verify that the key fields for your relationship contain the same data? Did you set the import to perform any auto-enter calculations that may have screwed up existing data?

Queue - thanks for response.

Yes, I did verify. Relation was fine and data was in table.

when I did the import I did not perform any auto enter calcs, i wanted it to stay the same.

And I did have a back up copy of the new rev which resulted from import and it looked and worked fine.

weird eh?

thanks,

J__

After closing the file (it's a one file database fm7) ;

We looked at the data and it was ok. totals were showing fine.

we ran a recover and there wasn't anything that indicated there was corruption either.

some weird hiccup or something.

thanks,

J__

Hi, J___. I know that if you have SQL Server running on the same machine as FM Server and it has to do a SQL dump (because of problems in its own databases), this may cause FM Serevr to just quit running. It is as if the FM service is stopped, but it will appear as "Started" in your services panel.

Is it possible anything like this happened to you?

J

Hi QuinTech,

thanks for the response. Actually this was on a 880 mhz G4 (?) running OS X Serve and it's pretty much only for that box.

Although I did find out that the server is running Filemaker 7 v1 - not v2.

Do you know where I can find a list of fixes between the two revs, maybe there's something about that?

But it did only happen this one time .. and is working fine after stopping and starting the server

thanks

J__

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.