Server Maintenance This Week. ×

1st day of FileMaker - very green

sandygirl

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone,

I am so so glad I stumbled onto this forum.

I have just bought the program, and want to use it for my little business

of selling t-shirts & accessories at local fairs here in California.

I see that I could definitely make use of the templates that come with it, such as (inventory, purchase order, contatcts). I will be trying to tweak a few things here and there, such as making the purchase order into an invoice form.

My question is this:

I would want to tab between all the forms, but just don't know how to do it... I've spent the whole day/night on this. I'm having a feeling its something pretty simple. Firstly, do I need to put all the forms that I will be using into one folder, so they can recognize where they are? Sorry if this sounds silly, but I am going crazy here. I have been trying to read thru the posts, but still don't get it.

Also, do you know of a way that once I input all my inventory, each invoice I make, will it automatically deduct from my invoice count?

Sorry if this seems too many questions, but I would really appreciate any feedback possible, or to point me into a direction, or if it would be easier for me to purchase already made forms?

Sorry this is so long.

Thank you

Sandy confused.gif

Hi Sandy,

To switch between the forms, you can have tabs or buttons that will let you go from layout to layout. You can create a script that goes to a certain layout and attach it to the the button. Each different form can be on a different layout. You do not need to put all the forms in one folder.

You can also create a script that would allow you to reduce from your inventory when you create an invoice.

Have you done the tutorial exercises that comes with your program yet? If not, then I would start there. Also there are lots of other good tutorials online that you can come across just by doing a google search. I think this would be a good starting step for you.

-John

• Newbies

Again, I apoligize if this is so basic...

This is what I am trying.

1) I open a new file - call it invoice

2) Design my file

3) When that is all done, of course I want the same look to the database, so I then choose duplicate layout?

4) But how can I save it as a different name - such as inventory

(trouble spot)

5) So, now I have 2 files (correct term?)

6) Then I go to my first file - invoice

7) I select a graphic (button) that I've labeled "inventory"

8) Now I know I am supposed to go to Script Maker and create a script called -- Open file ["inventory"]

but for some reason its not letting me create that.

9) Then I know I am supposed to select the graphic (button) labeled "inventory" and format this button -- which I know how to do that smile.gif

So, basically, I just wanted to know if I am going about all this correctly, and if someone can please tell me how to do numbers 4 & 8.

Thank you much for any input,

Sandy

3) When that is all done, of course I want the same look to the database, so I then choose duplicate layout?

4) But how can I save it as a different name - such as inventory

First create your invoice database then use File>Save A Copy As and name that Inventory.

8) Now I know I am supposed to go to Script Maker and create a script called -- Open file ["inventory"]

but for some reason its not letting me create that.

When you create the Open File script step - select "Add file reference" from the Specify drop down list and select your Ineventory Database.

Sandy, in FM7 you do not have to create different files. If you specifically want to create different files you can.

It seems to me that you are trying to create a layout for your invoices and another for your inventory. Before you do this, you should think about your database structure. Its best to create proper tables such as customer, inventory, line items, etc.

As for renaming your layouts, it can be done by while in Layout mode, go to Layouts menu --> Layout Setup

To create a script that goes to your inventory, all you have to do a Go to Layout [whatever layout you want to go to] function call.

This topic is 7028 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.