capture user name through external authentication

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here is my problem:

I have external authentication set up but I want all my users to log in through ONE external group. Reasoning: we only want to use LDAP to get the person into the system. Once they are in, I can direct them through other groups set up inside of filemaker.

The reason why I am doing this:

In one table, I may want a group of users to see and search on "Current" records, but then ReLogin to another group to see "Archived" records. All my information can live in one table but I can filter the layout view by having them log in to another filtered group. This ReLogin process needs to happen inside filemaker, not from the external server (seems this way through testing).

Is there a way to capture the user name from the external authentication process? I need to be able to match the user to the group for ReLogin. The account name is just the group name and the user name inside filemaker is static. I have public computers where I want to be able to capture lots of individuals and the best way to do this would be to capture their external log-in name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Windows you can script a BATch to run that can collect the UserID from the system. Run "cmd.exe /c set username>c:user.txt" from the Send Message script step, which will create a TXT file with the user's name. Then you can import the contents of the text file into a global field and parse out the user's name.

I am sure there is some way to do this on the MAC side using Applescript.

For a cross-platform solution, just check for which platform [status( CurrentPlatform) or Get (SystemPlatform)] and run the appropriate one.

C'mon, you Applescript folks - I'm sure one of you know how to get the System Username???

This topic is 6998 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.