Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Pro 6 or FM Pro 7 for Win98?

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I purchased a copy of FM Pro 7 and like it a great deal but the literature which describes the software indicates it must run on Win 2K or WinXP. Can anyone verify that? If that is indeed true I can't deploy it in our office because most users are running Win98 and need to keep doing that until we migrate an old DOS application to FM. Accordingly I'm wondering whether FM Pro 6 will run on Win98? If so I need to find somewhere to purchase FM Pro 6 assuming it's still available somewhere.

Can someone help? It would be appreciated.

Jess

Jess:

FMP 6 runs fine on Win98. Although it is available on eBay, we have lately been discovering that much of the software on offer there is pirated in one way or another. If you do buy on eBay, make sure you're getting something that at the very least has a box, manual and all that. Also, remember that FMP 5.5 is very nearly identical to FMP6, and the two can be deployed together in a networked environment.

-Stanley

Yes, FMP 7 requires Windows 2000/XP or Mac OS X. If you install Windows Server and Terminal Server and FM Server, you could use Windows 98 (with RDP, Remote Desktop Protocol) to connect, as a client.

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen. I'm pursusing the FMP 6 solution. That way our staff can run the older DOS applications which they cannot do using Win XP Pro and that includes our central business database. Our staff MUST be able to run both during the cut-over period. Otherwise chaos would result. This way we can, also, avoid purchasing about a dozen new desktop machines running XP. I'll tell you, though, that since FM runs so well under OS X it's a serious contender if/when we upgrade to FM7. I've just about had it with viruses, spyware, adware, and their ilk. My Titanium laptop running OS X Panther has NEVER had a virus, or any of the other cute bonuses of running in the Microsoft world.

Thanks again!

Jess

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.