Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Delete record does not work?

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am having a problem with the Delete record function - from the menu and from a script step. I am using a separate interface file to access data in another table.

When Delete record is selected/performed, the regular dialog box is displayed - "Permanently delete this ENTIRE record?" When "Delete" is selected, a progress dialog is displayed "Gathering records..." - if it is not cancelled, all the records in the database are deleted - has anyone seen this behavior?

I may be overlooking a simple cause/solution - I've spent a lot of time searching the regular resources - can't even find a reference to the dialog, "Gathering records..."

It sounds as if you may have a cascading delete issue. Check that there aren't any self-relationships (especially cartesian ones) with 'delete related records in this table' selected.

• Newbies

Porter - That is exactly what was wrong - I had created a self join (that I actually wasn't using anymore) and "Delete records in this table when....etc." was selected - everything is back to normal now. I could not find any reference to this behavior in FMPro documentation - although I am familiar with mySQL table references, I still find the new FMPro model very confusing.

Many Thanks

Look in the online help under 'Changing Relationships'. It includes a note regarding this.

Oh, btw, I'm not Porter; I'm -Queue-. Porter's the leader; I'm merely the timekeeper. wink.gif

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.