Close Database and go back to Main Switchboard

This topic is 7020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a main switchboard which links 7 other databases via buttons and scripts. It works well to take me from main switchboard to individual database. In individual database I have another button that say exit, which is supposed to take me back to the switchboard (which it does) -- here's the problem. I tell the script to close the current database before it goes back to main switchboard, but it doesn't close the file - it does return to the main switchboard, but when you exit the switchboard the other database is still open and you must close this separately.

here is the script I have on the exit button:

close file [current file]

open file ["switchboard"]

What am I overlooking?

Thanks for your help.

Rhonda:

Welcome to the Forums.

You'd be better off doing it this way. Have a script in your switchboard which has the single step Refresh Window [bring to front], and all your other files, when they exit, should have a script which says:

Perform Script [your new script in the switchboard]

Close File [current file]

The thing that gets me is that your exit script really shouldn't work at all, because the Close File [] step (as I understand it) should kill the script as well as the file.

-Stanley

I am really new to FM and to scripts. I am NOT a programmer. I don't even have documentation of any kind for the FM 7 Developer. It has been a process of using the help function to figure out how to set privileges and various validations of fields. I can't believe they don't have a copy of documentation anywhere here at work. How can you have a program without doc? Anyway,

Can you send me an example of a switchboard and script?

Thanks.

Rhonda

The documentation is in the program: Help | FileMaker Developer Help.

Since you're not a programmer, you'd better get Stars' Learn FileMaker Pro 7 and work through the problems at the end of each chapter. As for the specific problem, in the script, change layouts first, then close the previous file.

This topic is 7020 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.