Problems logging into database

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All

A sad day to be working but hey...

I have upgraded my database from v5 to v7 today and I'm currently having problems when trying to login with the client machines. The problem appears to be intermittent and on my XP clients. Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

eSBee confused.gif

The upgrade appears to have gone ok. I login to the host PC (Win 2k) no problem and I login on a client machine (Win 2k) ok so far on every occassion. I try to login from my other 2 client machines (Win XP) and sometimes the would login and sometimes they won't. It returns the Account and Password error message and I try 4 times and then I'm left at the FileMaker application having to choose File > Open Remote again. I have logged in via the client (Win 2k) machine using all the accounts and passwords that I've set up with no problem but the XP machines seem problematic.

Do I need to do something special in XP? Why is it intermittently connecting?

Many thanks for your replies

eSBee confused.gif

Hi Transpower

I was unable to deselect my firewall due to our set up here in the office. I must admit that I still had the problem this morning but on both XP machines I was able to login on the 2nd attempt, which wasn't the case on Saturday.

I will leave it for now so that my colleagues can work but will have a look once they have gone for the day.

Hello

My problem continues. I've checked the firewall on my XP machines and these are not enabled. However, the firewall being used is managed from our windows server via a group policy and I'm unable to do anything about this.

I have just spent the last half hour trying to login both my XP machines by trying all the different accounts/passwords I've set up and I've finally managed to login, not as the user on the relevant machines but with other accounts/passwords. I'm beginning to pull my hair out.

Previously, when we were using version 5 the XP machines also had problems logging in. The users had to run to the host machine and type nonsense in, then run back to their machines and try to login. It sometimes took just as long as it did today. We did hope that v7 would resolve this issue.

Any other suggestions out there?

Many thanks

eSBee

Hello all

I think that I've got my problem resolved. I've just spent the last couple of hours removing unnecessary file references that were created during conversion, which I wasn't sure if I needed. On conversion of the data file references were created using 2* relative paths and the FileMaker network paths e.g.

file:/MS-DOS_6/DOCUMENT/DICK-TOM/CA_APPS

file:CA_APPS

fmnet:IP Address/CA_APPS

I've now removed the first "file" path listed above and attached the filename extension i.e *.fp7 and have tested logging in and out on all the machines a couple of times now and it seems to be working.

What I've also noticed is that if you have specified a user name under Edit > Preferences, which presents this user name at login, allowing you to enter only the password returns the Account/Password error message. If you type the user name in and the password you login no problem.

I will continue to monitor this but it seems to be ok at present. Would be interested to here your take on this matter.

Many thanks

eSBee smile.gif (Happy Bunny for now)

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.