relationship for repeating fields?

Ives

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I set up a relationship for a field that repeats several times. The problem is the relationship only applies to the first entry in the field but does not work in the repeating fields. Example:

Part Number ...........description

repeat......................repeat

If i enter a part number in the first field it will automatically fill in the description in the first description field. but if i enter the part # in the second field it will not enter the description in the second description field. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ives----- banging head against desk

the relationship will only work with the first field beacuse the default value of a repeating field is the first value. I think instead of a repeating field here, it would make more sense to have a table with however many repeating fields you have the Part number field, a corresponding description field, and a recordID key that holds a relationship to the original table. i.e. PartNum1, PartNum2, .., PartNum9. PartDesc1, PartDesc2, .., PartDesc9. RecordID

badidea.gif

Ives, the best structure is a file for the Invoice or PO, a file for the Line Items of the Invoice or PO, and a file for the Products.

An Invoice/PO can have many Line Items, and a Product can be used in many Line Items. See the attached diagram.

In this structure you can use a portal in the Invoice/PO file to show the many related Line Items for an Invoice/PO, and likewise, a portal in the Product file to show the many related Line Items where that Product is used.

Client-Product.GIF

This topic is 7008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.