Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copying multiple fields to clipboard

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This isn't the regular Import/Export, but it involves getting data out of FM.

Is there a way to copy the data from multiple fields on a single record to the clipboard *using returns* to separate the fields rather than tabs (as with "Copy record" script step)? I don't want to add another field, but want to be able to provide the ability to grab the data from a single record (all name and address fields) to paste into another application. This isn't a frequent need, but it would be helpful on a ad hoc basis.

Better yet would be the ability to script a copy that would actually construct the clipboard with the right line breaks (firstName lastName // address // city state zip - zipSuffix). Any way to do this within a script without adding another field?

You don't want to make another field, but if you did you could make a calculated field which concatentates the fields you need, separated by an appropriate number of paragraph symbols. Then just use the script command Copy.

I'd thought about that, but I'm not sure how to best get the data into that field in the right format. Can I script adding a field at a time with the necessary punctuation, returns, etc. into a single global field? (I do *not* want to increase the DB size by adding a calculated text field for each record, but a global would do the trick.) Can anyone point me in the right direction to putting this together? Thanks.

Thanks. That's just what I needed--and I've a utility field in my Settings file that I can re-use for this, so I don't even need to modify that file (which makes upgrading existing copies much easier since I can do everything else in my interface file). It's working just fine.

This topic is 7003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.