Wireless Network = Delayed Write Failure?

SteeplechaseFilm

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello. Our office has been using FileMaker 4.1 v3 on Windows XP over a wired network for sometime without any problem whatsoever. While our files are on a network server we are not using FileMaker Server. Recently we were required to introduce a wireless network into our office. Computers that try to open up Filemaker over the wireless connection are faced with an error: "WINDOWS- delayed write failed..."?

My first thought was that this problem may have been a version issue but I brought my own laptop with FileMaker 6.0 and faced the very same problem. Is Filemaker just not wireless-compatible?

I would appreciate any advice beforeattempting to make any pricy ganders of my own.

There is a post at Technet on this here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174 Service pack 2 has a fix for something causing this. The CMOS settings on your UDMA controller also could be an issue it seems, if you've changed them to speed up disk access or enabled write caching. Other comments seem to blamed it on a faulty connection to the physical drive, maybe caused when the wireless card was installed. Or the RAID setup was an issue in another topic. Do a Google on "WINDOWS- delayed write failed" to come up with a number of sites discussing the issue. Seems like a hardware or firmware setup anyway.

Cheers,

John.

You could put the wires back in to see if that is the case but I suspect it came about due to a change to the hosting PC. (I am assuming it is also wireless BTW, if not just ignore this. If it is wireless, Why?) Either a hardware failure caused by the upgrade or settings that were changed in the CMOS or a conflict induced by the wireless card. Do you experience the same issue when FM is hosted on a different PC?

If it is wireless network related, it maybe due to dropped packets and retries though how that translates into a what seems like timimg or caching error on the drive, escapes me. Turn the wireless down to plain vanilla 10Mbps and try it. Maybe 54Mbps is pushing it for your environment.

The fact you receive this error on the clients seems to indicate the client wireless card could be initiating a conflict with something that then causes this error. Is there anything in the event log? If nothing else, all I can advise from this distance is gradually eliminate the changes you've made starting at the hosting PC until things start to work.

Cheers,

John.

PS. Maybe you're right and FM4 doesn't work with wireless networks. A case of planned obsolesence? But how they knew that at the time is beyond me. smile.gif

• Newbies

Hmmmm. The server/host is still wired and the computers on the network that are still wired have no problem with Filemaker- just the 3 Wireless computers. I did try the writ-fix suggested in the microsoft article to no avail and also went into the BIOS as they suggested. I will try lowering 54 to 10 Mbps next.

I think jrb12 is on the right track. It is very possible that the wireless users are experiencing lost packets and/or packet collisions, causing the connections to time out or be disconnected due to excessive packet loss. This could also be exacerbated by the access point being tied onto an older network that may not be optimized to accommodate wireless connections. Even some newer routers are 'self-healing' where excessive packet loss is percieved as wire or a NIC card going bad and forcing a reconnect for that node.

If a 56k dial-up connection can be acceptable to FileMaker (very slow, but useable), then wireless should be just fine - even if choked down to 1 or 2 Mbps.

This topic is 6967 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.