Portal: How to get multiple rows

schomer

This topic is 6988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I'm new to Filemaker... I am trying to perform a Find and have the results shown as a list of rows. Then, when I click on a row, additional fields are displayed below the list in sort of a "preview" area. Kind of like an email program where you have the list of messages, click one, and preview it underneath.

I created a portal, which I think is what I need to do. But the portal only shows one record, one row. I don't see any settings for the portal to get it to list more than one item.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I'm new to portals in filemaker, so please assume you're talking to a dummy if you send help. :-)

Thanks!

Portals show related records -- records in a different table/file.

If you perform a find the results are those records in the *current table/file* that match the criteria. To display these results you need a list view layout.

UNLESS... you are talking about a filtered portal.

To add to what Vaughan said - just use a list view but put the detail fields in the header or footer. Whatever record you select in the list will be the source of fields displayed in the header or footer.

Wow! How simple. Just putting into list view with the extra fields in the footer works fine for what I'm looking for. Can't believe I didn't try that. Well, being the new Filemaker user, I guess I can believe it...

Thanks for the help!!!

This topic is 6988 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.