Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto Entry

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am a brand new user of FM and I need some help trying to do something that I have not found on the book I have "Learning FileMaker Pro 7". I am trying to create a autoentry filed that I want to use as an ID to keep track of classes that students will take in church. But I want the ID to be meaningful to us. What I have in mind is the following format: SJ-monthdayyear001. I am using an autoentry calculation with the following value: "SJ(month;day;year)-####" I'd appreciate your inputs as to what I am doing wrong or your suggestions on how to acomplish this. Thanx.

See attached file. You should only use this as a visible id; there should still be an internal unique id that you use for relationships, etc., since this sort of pseudo-serial is not necessarily unique if records are deleted.

FMNeo.zip

Queue,

I followed the example on your file, however, when I create records, after it creates the second record, say SJ-03012005002, it just keeps repeating it unless I delete the record SJ-03012005001, then it creates SJ-03012005003. I have gone over your example several times and have verified that the options are the same and yet your works fine but mine doesn't. I have attached the file so you can look at it to see if you see what it is that is wrong with my file. I appreciate your help.

test.zip

Your relationship isn't sorted. Check the original attachment again. It must be sorted by serial descending or it uses the natural first related record instead of the one with the largest serial for that date.

Your relationship isn't sorted. Check the original attachment again. It must be sorted by serial descending or it uses the natural first related record instead of the one with the largest serial for that date.

That worked, thanx. Actually to comment on your original post about using a different serial number, these records will never be deleted, so creating a different unique serial number is not necessary. Thanx for you help and inputs.

One last question: Besides the book I already have, Learn FileMaker Pro 7, are there any other good starting books, and/or online classes that you know of or would recommend? Thanx.

This topic is 6995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.