Summarize portal data?

merkaba22

This topic is 6960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am still a little inexperienced here and know that a summary report can be a solution -- I believe though that such a report will not create a permant record of an invoice.

Accordingly, I am trying to avoid using a summary report to create an invoice -- can this be accomplished in a portal?

File one with five records:

Job Number: AA

Record number 1

Item Type: A

Qty: 3

Record number 2

Item Type: B

Qty: 4

Record number 3

Item Type: B

Qty: 5

Record number 4

Item Type: C

Qty: 6

Job Number: BB

Record number 5

Item Type: A

Qty: 7

File Two: For Invoicing

Record One:

Job Number AA.

Instead of:

Item Type: A Qty: 3

Item Type: B Qty: 4

Item Type: B Qty: 5

Item Type: C Qty: 6

Item Type: A Qty: 7

I would like to see:

Item Type: A Qty: 3

Item Type: B Qty: 9

I think you mean you would like to see Item Type: A Qty: 10 for Job Number AA. Anyway, I think you should experiment with the GetSummary function to see if it will do what you want to do. It's possible to sum values in portals, but you'd still have the individual records displayed. Or you could define another table to hold the sum of A in one record (for Job AA), the sum of B in the next record (for Job AA), etc., then have a portal from there.

Hey Thanks -- I appreciate the suggestion. And yes, you are right, I meant where both B and C had sumed totals:

Item Type: A Qty: 10

Item Type: B Qty: 9

to illustrate that the individual items can be Type: A, B or C and that the summing needed to occur mindful of the type choices for each "item" ....

I think the second idea would work best -- are you suggesting exploring the GetSummary function in this case?

Thanks for the tips -- I really do appreciate the input:

I created a model with three files: Portal Record, Portal Data and Specs for Portal Data.

Portal entries in Portal Record via relationship to Portal Data, are stored in the records of Portal Data.

I created a Summary report to summarize totals of Items by Job Number -- that seemed fine.

Then I added new entries back in Portal Record and they are showing up properly in Portal Data in the Browse mode and Preview/record but do not show up in the summary layout in Preview Mode.

I don't get it -- anybody see where I am going wrong here.

I created a model with three files: Portal Record, Portal Data and Specs for Portal Data.

Portal entries in Portal Record via relationship to Portal Data, are stored in the records of Portal Data.

I created a Summary report to summarize totals of Items by Job Number -- that seemed fine.

Then I added new entries back in Portal Record and they are showing up properly in Portal Data in the Browse mode and Preview/record but do not show up in the summary layout in Preview Mode.

This topic is 6960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.