Display Value List Problem - Can this be done?

This topic is 6933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have searched through the threads for displaying value lists from FMP databases, and I cannot find my specific problem/solution.

I have a database into which a Value List for each person is built, using entry into a field.

Then I want the user to login, and be able to retrieve their custom values in a pop-up.

I was using an inline action, but the value list is based on related field values from a second database.

Here is what I am using, and I only get an empty pop-up:

<select name="CourseMath">

[FMP-InlineAction: -db=CSTReg.fp5, -lay=Web, -view]

[FMP-Valuelist: CourseMath, list=MathEligibleYr]

<option value="[FMP-ValuelistItem]">[FMP-ValuelistItem]</option>

[/FMP-Valuelist]

[/FMP-InlineAction]

</select>

The field is CourseMath (text field)

The Value List is MathEligibleYr (related to _EligibleCourses, show related items in field EligibleMath)

I changed the Value list to one that is hard-coded (not related), and it works. So I assume the problem is with a value list of related values. I tried making a relationship to itself, to show the values from a lookup field, but that did not work either - it is still related.

Is there any way I can show the user-specific value list on a web page using CDML? Or can I use some code from another language, just to handle this issue?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thx!

-dana

As a follow-up to my previous question, I have also tried using a token - and think this may be my solution, but I cannot get the value list to display the values of the field set equal to token.1.

Here is what I have with my attempt to use tokens:

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="-token.1" VALUE="[FMP-Field: VLMathYear]">

--I used text as the input type above just so i could be sure the field was properly going to token.1; I will use hidden normally.

<option value="[FMP-CurrentToken:1]">[FMP-CurrentToken:1]</option>

[FMP-valuelist: CourseMath]

<option value="[FMP-valuelistItem]">[FMP-valuelistItem]</option>

[/FMP-valuelist]

</select>

I just get a single check mark at the beginning of the value list. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Garry:

I am trying to use an inline action, but I only get an empty pop-up. Here is what I tried:

[FMP-InlineAction: -db=CSTReg.fp5, -lay=Web, -view]

[FMP-Valuelist: CourseMath, list=MathEligibleYr]

[/FMP-Valuelist]

[/FMP-InlineAction]

</select>

My field is CourseMath and my value list is MathEligibleYr; my value list is what has related values. Can this work? If not, I could import the value lists into the current DB, and then use a token as a value list based on that field - would that work?

Any help with my code would be appreciated - thx!

Oh - and I think maybe I was not clear, my value list is actually created from values populated into a field of a separate table. Is there a way to create a value list based on values in a field? I tried doing that using a token, but could not get that to work either!

If the ValueList is created by values in a field in "CSTReg.fp5" then it should work fine.

I believe that you may need to use something like this

[FMP-InlineAction: -db=_EligibleCourses.fp5, -lay=Web, -view]

[FMP-Valuelist: EligibleMath, list=MathEligibleYr]

[/FMP-Valuelist]

[/FMP-InlineAction]

</select>

However, if the list depends on a value you may need to use the Token like this:

[FMP-InlineAction: -db=_EligibleCourses.fp5, -lay=Web, CourseYear={CurrentToken}, -sortfield=EligibleMath, -max=all, -find]

[FMP-Record]

<option value="[FMP-Field:EligibleMath]">[FMP-Field:EligibleMath]</option>

[/FMP-Record]

[/FMP-InlineAction]

</select>

The only problem would be to summarise the values. You can use a little bit of Javascript for this.

All the best.

Garry

Thanks for the suggestions, Garry! I am still trying...

Okay - so you confirmed that FMP cannot display related value lists, so I am no longer using a related value list.

Now, I have imported the field text that makes up the value list into a field in the current DB, CSTReg.fp5

I am trying to call the information in the field, to be used in a pop-up - is that possible?

my code:

<option value="[FMP-Field: VLMathYear]">[FMP-Field: VLMathYear]</option>

[FMP-valuelist: CourseMath]

<option value="[FMP-valuelistItem]">[FMP-valuelistItem]</option>

[/FMP-valuelist]

</select>

CourseMath = field to receive the data

VLMathYear= field that has the items to populate the value list, unique for every record

The above gives me a pop-up, but all the items are on one line, for example, instead of:

Math 400: Precalculus

Math 410H: Precalculus and Differential Calculus AB Honors

Math 710: Statistics AP

as 3 choices, I get one run-on choice of:

Math 400: PrecalculusMath 410H: Precalculus and Differential Calculus AB HonorsMath 710: Statistics AP

!!

Is there any way to have the web recognize that there ar separate lines? Or is this just not the way to do it. I tried the Inline Action, but got a blank pop-up menu.

I think my problem is that the values for each record are different, based on the information in a specific field for that record.

My other very tedious option, is to create a super-long If-then statement where I hardcode the values for each ID (about 70 per pop-up!). That is my escape route, but I would love to get this going. I can give URL if you think it is solvable.

I spent all this time getting the pop-ups customized, based on user-entry, that I would hate for it to go to waste!

To have a field populate a popup you could use this:

[FMP-Record]

<option value="[FMP-Field: VLMathYear]">[FMP-Field: VLMathYear]</option>

[/FMP-Record]

</select>

OR, you can create a new ValueList in the main file and use the usual [FMP-ValueList] syntax.

Good Luck.

Garry

p.s. In my opinon the best method is to use an [FMP-InlineAction] to the related file. As described in my previous post.

• 1 month later...

I am new to CDML. I am creating a searchable database that also uses relational values lists. I am using FMP6. I read through this thread, but don't know how to use the InlineAction tags. This is what I want to do:

Valuelist 1: Species. (I can create this is in my main db as a values-options list.) Will contain values like "Dog", "Cat", etc.

Valuelist 2: Breed. Relates to Species. If Dog is selected as Species, then Breed should only list related breeds (ie. Cocker Spaniel, German Shepherd.) How do I set that up without a related valueslist??

My other valuelist options from fields work just fine (ie. State, Country)

One other question: On the search results page, how do I display the select criteria values from the search page?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, exactly. If "Dog" is selected in Species, then I want the Breed valueslist to display only related dog breeds; same for Cats or other species.

I am even willing to create a separate values list for "Dog Breeds", "Cat Breeds", etc (for each species type), but then how do I get the correct list to display based on the species field?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

This topic is 6933 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.