Server Maintenance This Week. ×

So Slooooooooooooooow!

This topic is 6980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First, thanks to all who responded to my previous post about pulling data from other files in IWP. In the end, I had to import the data I needed into another table in my IWP'd file. I will probably roll all my tables into one file at the end of the academic year.

Now, on to the new challenge:

IWP is SO SLOW! FM Server Advanced is running under OS X 10.3 Server on a PM G4/733 w/ 512MB RAM. Pages take up to 30 seconds to render, finds take up to a minute or more to complete, and submitting data gets progressively slower (one teacher claims a 16-minute wait to submit her grades...)

Is anybody else experiencing such performance issues? I don't think my h/w is unreasonably old/slow for this task...

Are there settings I can tweak to speed things up? Any tips?

Thanks a lot!

I'm not seeing any performance problems and I'm using a PM G4 533 MHz in 640 MB of RAM. Most things are instantaneous if I'm anywhere on the University network, and nearly so when I'm on my cable connection at home.

I haven't tested any of this with dialup, but that doesn't sound like your issue. I'm not running server advanced here but I have run my solution using the server advanced development license included with filemaker developer, and I didn't see any slowdown. (Although in that case the machine was a Dual 1.8 G5 with 1.25 GB of RAM.... but that still doesn't seem like it should be the problem)

Are you running any other programs or servers on the machine at the same time? That could slow things down alot.

• 2 weeks later...

I did read that there is a speed issue with some of the popup menu types. I would first disable any popups on your IWP layout and recheck the speed and then be careful as to which type you use. I can't remember which type were the problem but it was dramatic according to fmp.

If you have no popup menus, I don't have anyother Ideas except to make sure your network cards are running full duplex and not just 1/2 duplex.

I did read that there is a speed issue with some of the popup menu types. I would first disable any popups on your IWP layout and recheck the speed and then be careful as to which type you use. I can't remember which type were the problem but it was dramatic according to fmp.

If you have no popup menus, I don't have anyother Ideas except to make sure your network cards are running full duplex and not just 1/2 duplex.

The hardware is marginal for FMSA, I think 1GB is recommended.

You could try putting the web engine on a different box, so Server and the web engine are running on separate machines.

You could try putting the web engine on a different box, so Server and the web engine are running on separate machines.

This topic is 6980 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.