Finding data in other fields in same record

This topic is 8125 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have 2 fields, LastName and FirstName. I want to check if someone entered the same thing into each field. I figured I could ask Find Mode to perform a find where LastName=FirstName by entering =FirstName in the LastName field. This does not work; FM does not seem able to evaluate data from another field in the same record. There must be some simple way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Perhaps there is some symbol that does not appear on the symbols list popup that tells FM to insert the contents of the named field into the "search" parameter.

I would stop them from entering the same thing twice in the first place using a validation by calculation on both fields. However, if you now have records with both fields holding the same information, simply create a relationship between

RecordID & Firstname

Related to

RecordID & Lastname

This should do what you want!

I completely agree with you -- except it's not my data; I am importing over 10,000 records generated by another system. The output is "poor quality" due to unfiltered input. As I browsed I noticed many records where both last and first names were the same. I was trying to isolate those records in the FM data base when I ran up against the speed bump. Thanks!

This topic is 8125 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.