Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Expoded match field in the BR.

This topic is 6989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

As I understand it, calculations belong in the BR file. One exception seems to be the explode calc field. I often use a match field for portals that is a calculation based on getting the first, second, third.. (up to 6'th) letter of the first, second and third words of a text field thus allowing the user to find the desired data without scrolling down a very long list. This works just fine in the non-seperated design but with separation, a calculation in one file based on a related field cannot be indexed, making it impossible to use as a match field. So, it needs to stay with the data. Am I barking up the right tree?

I guess I need a lot of hand holding with "separation", as I don't want to keep undoing and redoing the design. The more I think about and work with separation, the more exceptions I find to the "true separation" model.

Thanks.

"It's never so bad that it couln't get worse."

As I understand it, calculations belong in the BR file. One exception seems to be the explode calc field. I often use a match field for portals that is a calculation based on getting the first, second, third.. (up to 6'th) letter of the first, second and third words of a text field thus allowing the user to find the desired data without scrolling down a very long list. This works just fine in the non-seperated design but with separation, a calculation in one file based on a related field cannot be indexed, making it impossible to use as a match field. So, it needs to stay with the data. Am I barking up the right tree?

I guess I need a lot of hand holding with "separation", as I don't want to keep undoing and redoing the design. The more I think about and work with separation, the more exceptions I find to the "true separation" model.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Go to the link given by Ralph, than Pick either Flash or HTML. Click on Resources, Type in the word "Type", Choolse All file types, and then "Find", and it will return several files.

The file mentioned by Ralph is Type Ahead, but there are a couple of others that may also be of interest to you.

HTH

Lee cool.gif

Go to the link given by Ralph, than Pick either Flash or HTML. Click on Resources, Type in the word "Type", Choolse All file types, and then "Find", and it will return several files.

The file mentioned by Ralph is Type Ahead, but there are a couple of others that may also be of interest to you.

HTH

Lee cool.gif

HTH

Lee cool.gif

Hi Ralph,

I figured you would pick up on this too. I just got concerned that JMO might have taken this file off of his site for some reason. Since I'm always pointing at it, I wanted verify that it was still there. Once I did that, I notice the name was different (I guess I have been sending people for the wrong file too), so I figured I'd save you a little time and just go ahead and respond.

Lee

cool.gif

Hi Ralph,

I figured you would pick up on this too. I just got concerned that JMO might have taken this file off of his site for some reason. Since I'm always pointing at it, I wanted verify that it was still there. Once I did that, I notice the name was different (I guess I have been sending people for the wrong file too), so I figured I'd save you a little time and just go ahead and respond.

Lee

cool.gif

Hi Ralph,

Lee

cool.gif

This topic is 6989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.