Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow performance

This topic is 6989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FMP 6 for Classic (9.2.2) is running very slow on the G4 dual 867GHz that I'm using at work.

The problem is in just about all features I've tested. For example, if I click any menu item, it takes ~10 secs for the menu to display. If I switch modes, it takes about 10 seconds for that mode to display.

I've trashed the FileMaker Pro 6 folder and reinstalled; the problem persisted.

I've installed FileMaker Pro 6 for Mac OS X. It runs properly under Jaguar.8.

If I use the latter, however, the host from which I need to access a shared database does not display in the Hosts dialog.

Any suggestions???

Many thanks in advance and cheers!

FMP 6 for Classic (9.2.2) is running very slow on the G4 dual 867GHz that I'm using at work.

The problem is in just about all features I've tested. For example, if I click any menu item, it takes ~10 secs for the menu to display. If I switch modes, it takes about 10 seconds for that mode to display.

If I use the latter, however, the host from which I need to access a shared database does not display in the Hosts dialog.

Any suggestions???

Any suggestions???

Ender,

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

The host is running FMP 6 on Mac OS 9 (not Classic under X). The administrator of that Mac and I both are unfamiliar with turning on TCP/IP access.

Could you please elaborate?

Thank you.

Ender,

The host is running FMP 6 on Mac OS 9 (not Classic under X). The administrator of that Mac and I both are unfamiliar with turning on TCP/IP access.

Thank you.

Ender,

Thank you.

If your host is a FileMaker Client app, it can host via TCP/IP by switching the Network protocol in Edit->Preferences. FileMaker Server 5.0 can host Appletalk and TCP/IP at the same time (set this up in one of the config panels.)

If your host is a FileMaker Client app, it can host via TCP/IP by switching the Network protocol in Edit->Preferences. FileMaker Server 5.0 can host Appletalk and TCP/IP at the same time (set this up in one of the config panels.)

What kind of filesharing is turned on, saying this while hinting at the most common issue to slow performance ...no OS filesharing should be turned on for the drive that hosts the solution - Filemaker uses it's own protocol. Attempts to use both concurrent is likely to cause file corruption and slow performance.

--sd

What kind of filesharing is turned on, saying this while hinting at the most common issue to slow performance ...no OS filesharing should be turned on for the drive that hosts the solution - Filemaker uses it's own protocol. Attempts to use both concurrent is likely to cause file corruption and slow performance.

--sd

--sd

Ender,

Thank you for the helpful reply.

The host is an FMP client. Server is not an option.

Can you please elaborate further on your instructions? Specifically, what needs to be done on the Macs accessing the host's databases? Will the users simply click the Hosts button in the Open File dialog, and the databases will display there as they do currently?

The reason for asking is that two other users of FMP client also access the same databases from the same host. If the procedure will change after using TCP/IP hosting, I will be responsible for explaining this to the other two users.

Ender,

Thank you for the helpful reply.

The host is an FMP client. Server is not an option.

Can you please elaborate further on your instructions? Specifically, what needs to be done on the Macs accessing the host's databases? Will the users simply click the Hosts button in the Open File dialog, and the databases will display there as they do currently?

The reason for asking is that two other users of FMP client also access the same databases from the same host. If the procedure will change after using TCP/IP hosting, I will be responsible for explaining this to the other two users.

Soren,

Thank you for your message.

Do I understand correctly that you're saying that sharing in the host's File Sharing control panel should be turned off?

However, the other two users are not experiencing the same slow performance that I am.

Soren,

Thank you for your message.

Do I understand correctly that you're saying that sharing in the host's File Sharing control panel should be turned off?

However, the other two users are not experiencing the same slow performance that I am.

For any OS9 clients, you will need to set the Network Protocol (in Edit->Preferences) to TCP/IP. With host and client set to TCP/IP, they will see the hosted files in the Hosts dialog. OS X native clients will already be set to use TCP/IP.

This is correct. Running File Sharing on your host is an invitation to performance problems and database corruption.

For any OS9 clients, you will need to set the Network Protocol (in Edit->Preferences) to TCP/IP. With host and client set to TCP/IP, they will see the hosted files in the Hosts dialog. OS X native clients will already be set to use TCP/IP.

This is correct. Running File Sharing on your host is an invitation to performance problems and database corruption.

Ender,

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Clarification: the slow performance is independent of the hosted databases.

In other words, if I launch FMP and open a local fm file (i.e., a database on the hard drive of the Mac I'm using), the aforementioned performance symptoms occur.

This problem is specific to the Classic version of FM 6.0.x. The Mac OS X version of FM 6.0.x performs normally (although I am currently unable to open the hosted databases).

To implement the changes you recommend, I will need to obtain supervisor's authorization.

Ender,

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Clarification: the slow performance is independent of the hosted databases.

In other words, if I launch FMP and open a local fm file (i.e., a database on the hard drive of the Mac I'm using), the aforementioned performance symptoms occur.

This problem is specific to the Classic version of FM 6.0.x. The Mac OS X version of FM 6.0.x performs normally (although I am currently unable to open the hosted databases).

To implement the changes you recommend, I will need to obtain supervisor's authorization.

This topic is 6989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.