Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Maximum number of licensed users issue

This topic is 6898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

confused.gif I'm using FM 5 on a Windows ME machine and sharing its files with 5 networked users with a Linux box dictating the network's terms. I have workstations running XP pro and Windows ME. Recently whenever a user tries to access one of the filemaker files the error message "the maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro (etc)". The trouble is there are no users with FileMaker open when this message appears.

FileMaker hasn't had any problems previously until I installed a DSL gateway which took over the DHCP serving from the Linux box. This means that the IP addresses for the workstations are being assigned by the gateway and not the Linux server, but the address range is the same. I don't see how this would be presenting a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so are there any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this? The only other possibility I can think of is the firewall that would exist on the gateway but again that only limits internet traffic, not traffic on the other side of the gateway. Many thanks in advance for your help on this issue

• 2 months later...

If you use the same copy of FileMaker on more than one computer, you cant use as multi user. You should license different copies of FileMaker for every computer.

Hi, G and welcome to FMFORUMS! Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what "a Linux box dictating the network's terms" means if IPs are being distributed by the gateway/router, but since you say there were no problems before, is it possible that the FM host is receiving all requests through the Linux box and hence the Linux box's IP address is appears to be the one making FM requests all the time? Maybe you could design a test to see what IP addresses the host perceives when requests come in... just a thought.

--ST

This topic is 6898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.