Sign in to follow this  
kapaun

Finding records using multiple field criteria

I have a problem and was curious if anyone had a solution. I am creating a database for a manufacturing company. I have a order entry file and a related line items file which has things like part numbers, due dates, customer names, etc on it. I need to find a created a layout that will allow me to search the line items file using any or all of the above fields. The problem is that I dont want to have the user for example type in a part number and hit the (...) to get a range. Instead I like to use a start and stop field with a calculation field that basically combines the two fields and puts the range symbol between. The problem is that this needs to be done in browse mode not find mode. I would cut and paste then go to find mode, but I have not idea how to cut and paste more than one item. The only way I can think to do this is to create a reports file related to the line items file and going back and forth between them coping and pasting until all of the fields have been copied.

I hope this makes some sense. Thank you in advance for your help, and feel free to email me at kapaun@fishnet.com.

Use a global field:

Set field (YourGlobal, StartField & "..." & EndField)

Since globals hold their values from Browse to Find mode, you'll be all set!