Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Buying databases (with data)

This topic is 6938 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi ,

I was wondering about the data collecting business model, I cannot find any companies that sell data, im not in search of anything particular, im just curious for this market, i find lots of companies that sell templates, or customized databases, but not with data included.

is there any links you can give me on this ?

Thanks

Dan

There are services sort of like this. But usually they are offered as Web services. You pay for a monthly subscription to access the data over a Web interface. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but someone else will surely be able to give you lots of examples.

The advantage of doing it over the Web, is that you as the administrator have the files under your control, and can turn off someone's access as soon as they bounce that first cheque.

Dan:

I'm just having my first experience with the data trade, as I have a new client who is a non-profit agency, and they are struggling with importing mailing lists which they buy from other non-profits. It is apparently a major source of income for many of these organizations, and is a sort of informal merry-go-round of information, with no centralized source (as far as they are concerned)...

I'm curious, though - what sort of data are you thinking of?

-Stanley

ok.. Ive seen this case before in the Timesharing market, they sell like listings of people who want to buy/sell...

I was thinking any kind of data really, but say for example, people that sell Yellow Pages of specialty markets, its a database,Ive seen loads of these PhoneBooks CDs , or Recipes ... this would be on the low end of course... on a higher level I can imagine all sorts of Scientific research databases...

Dan:

It's a very interesting business idea - especially if you can sell updates to the data, in which case you're in perpetual money-making motion...

-Stanley

This topic is 6938 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.