Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Same name db's

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been asked to alter the setup of set of db's currently being served out over the web by filemaker unlimited 6. It's not really a web/CDML question so please read on before flaming. smirk.gif Current setup/filepath is: Filemaker/Web/MyCompany/Clients.fp6. There's a couple of other db's within the "MyCompany" folder. What I've been asked to do is duplicate the "MyCompany" folder with all of its db's residing in it and rename that folder "MyCompany2" and place the Clients.fp6 db one level up to reside in the Web folder. This would act as the client db for all the multiple "MyCompany" folders that could be created. One of the issues of course is that then FM will be serving out multiple copies of db's of the same name all be it on different levels/folders. It's well know in previous versions that serving same name db's anywhere's on the same server was a BIG no no, web or network. I'd be 10 feet tall and bullet proof if I could find the documentation for FM 6 that still says this will still compromise db integrity...or is this not the case anymore? Can anyone direct me to documentation that says this...I've searched.

Thanks.

Sorry, I'll try explaining better. It's a pretty complicated situation but to keep it basic we need multiple "MyCompany" folders within the Web folder of Filemaker. Each of the company folders will be for different companies and they think they need to keep these seperate for multiple reasons. Each company folder and it's db's would be performing a similar function but on different files. Renaming the db's could create a major headache as they would have to filter through all the functions for each site, changing names/ect.

I know, not really my decision to try same names, am trying to avoid this if I could find the documentation.

This topic is 6940 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.