Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows XP sets randomly slow with 6.0v4

This topic is 6859 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am running 6.0v4 and have recently upgraded several office sets to XP Home Edition, sp2. One set, already existing, has never had any issues with the Filemaker databases. The new sets all started running the database fine. Then one by one, have developed what I call "slow" disease ONLY with FM Pro. At first, if this was noticed right away, performing a restore to an earlier point on the XP machine would make it go away. This is no longer the case. The database, even if moved directly to that set and not hosted through the network, opens very slowly (3-5 minutes) and screen switching, especially between files, takes from 30 seconds to 1 minute. On the same network, machines running 98 or ME have no issues. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

Typically this would happen if there are a lot of temp files on the machine.

But also check the Task Manager to see if there are any processes that take up a lot of memory or processor time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

[color:purple]Similar thing here with FM v6.04 on a new Win XP. The default printer was attached to another PC on the LAN. So FM had a long chat with that printer during each file open. Changed default to a local virtual printer such as Acrobat Distiller or FILE: and the fast speed was back. (XP provides a "Firewall Log" option which helped.)

You should also try to do this in Print Setup right inside one of the FM files. Afterwards you may be able to set the main Windows default back to the network printer and FM will still open fast.

This topic is 6859 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.