Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Where can I get a license for FM 4.1 Windows?

This topic is 6898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We run a network with about 7 computers, with FileMaker 4.1 running on an old Mac G3 server. We just added a new Windows XP client to the network, and we need to get another license to use for that computer.

As far as I know, FM does not offer version 4.1 any longer. We can't load FM 7, because I understand we cannot have one client running a newer version than everybody else; and we are not in a position to upgrade the entire network right now. (Most of the clients are Macs, and some of the older Macs will not support OSX, for example. Also, our database is very old and we've been told it might not run in newer versions.)

Can anyone recommend where we can get a license for FM 4.1/Windows??

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck:

To be perfectly legal, when buying from eBay, make sure you're getting an original sealed box, with disc, manual, registration and everything.

-Stanley

Hi, CP! Mac versions of FM4 used to appear on vendor sites who sold used computers and parts but I've never heard of used Windows computers being sold retail. Also, FM4 was desriable by people like me who wanted to web publish cheap. FM4 was the 1st version with web publishing capability and it was unlimited by default. FM5+ essentially required you to buy a special version of FM to web publish outside your own network.

What about FM3? I thought FM3/4 = compatible just like FM5/6=compatible. Maybe you could find FM3-win an it would be good enough?

--ST

Without knowing your database structures you might want to consider setting your files up with the web connector and build a small intranet and have everyone access thru the web portal on a browser... using the mac as a server makes this process very easy...

This topic is 6898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.