Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can you create an alarm to go off in FM7?

This topic is 6897 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working on a lead contact management application and would really like to be able to let the user set an alarm to remind them to do something. So, for example, the user could request an alarm for 3:40 pm on July 5, 2005. Then when that time came, a programmed event would be triggered of some sort.

I've been searching both this website and others and can't find anything. There's not even a plug in or calendar ap that has this capability that I can see.

Am I missing something, or is there a way to do this in FM7? (I'm running FM7 Dev on XP)

Thanks.

FileMaker won't do such a thing without the aid of a third party plug-in.

Windows however, has a feature called Scheduled Tasks where you could make something similar happen although getting it to interface with FileMaker might be a bit tricky. Or I should say; getting Filemaker to interface with it.

MacOS X has a Chron unix thingy too.

FMP cannot do real-time event-based stuff. The operating system can and does.

Somebody goos with OS-level scripts might be able to make one that sets up a Chron job based on field values in FMP.

My solution to this is using a dedicated machine to run a loop with a find for events that need to be executed (event date/time less than current date/time.) When it finds some, it sends an email.

This topic is 6897 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.