Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Slow performance of server over terminal services

This topic is 6991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there, hope anyone can help...

After a hard and software upgrade to Windows2003 SBS server and Terminal Server 2003, the Filemaker Files are running SLOWLY... 'Open file' script steps seem to take ages!

Hardware: 2 dual proc. 2GBram servers, one running TS server, one running FileMaker server 5.5. It used to run fine on W2000 server, nog its hopeless.

Software: Server 5.5 win, Client 5 win, All clients run through RDP

Already checked:

-File references - directly to file on server

-Shortcuts on desktop on (ts)desktops - fmp5://192.168.10.10/file.fp5

-Opening non-fm files - works fine

-No errors in app log. / server log

-Server 5.5 settings: 40Megs cache, 125 files allowed, host single user files

What did happen: the FileMaker server got renamed, but IP did'n change. is that my source of all the trouble?

I'm losing my hair...

Herrix

BTW, yes, it is a repost of a post in the 'connectivity' forum.

I remember having problems with opening files back with v5-6 on windows. I seem to remember having to delete windows tmp files, and check that the default printer description was not corrupt. Also, you might try reinstalling filemaker pro if doing the others doesn't speed things up.

Dana

what sort of indication are you getting: the squiggly arrow or just the hourglass?

is it still slow if you open FM5 in a TS session and open a file the normal way (not with a shortcut): open -> remote

Thanks for your reaction...

@Reed: i'll try this asap, stupid i didn't think of it...

@Wim: i get squiggly network activity. Open-remote is slow too.

While file opening (word), email etc. are fast.

Hi, back again... tried and failed..

But, never give up and I found the following: when I make a new useraccount with admin rights, it speeds up as if it were a local file... STRANGE.

I'll have a chat with the administrator of the system.

Does this sound familiar?

Thank so far.

Hartger

You're not using OS level file sharing on the folder (or any parent) where the live FM files are, right? That's a standard cause for slowdowns.

Generally the squiggly arrow indicates that FMP has trouble finding the files. It's looking at all the locations in its file references and takes a lot of time figuring out if it is good.

Nope, filesharing is off. But....

I can't sleep anyway, so here's the eaky stuff... whenever I make a new user now, either using the SBS template, of through the new user in server maint., the new user is FAST...

All the old users are slow and stay slow, ALL new users are fast... 'course it is an option to delete and make new all old users (100+), but that's not the point.

BTW, Exchange SP1 got installed after i made the OLD users....

Hartger

I see this is a V5.5 server from your first post. Do you have 125 files in your solution? If not try turning that down to actual or just above the amount of files the server is serving out. Memory and Cache was funny on the Pre 7 versions.

This topic is 6991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.