Unsorted value list

orenco

This topic is 6959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello orenco,

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Through and including FileMaker version 7, value lists are always sorted, and secondary fields used for sorting are displayed when the list is used in the interface (ie applied to a field).

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may be able to get a satisfactory effect by using a portal to simulate a value list. In some situations a portal can be made to resemble a drop-down list, for example.

Is there a way to create an unsorted value list?

Unfortunately the only way to have an unsorted value list is with the Use Custom Values option. Of course filemaker gives you no way to access a Custom list through a script or calculation, nor do they allow the use of a global field for a value list. Rather frustrating.

Thank you Ray. Why won't FM give us this option? They pretend and claim that FMPro is a powerful databasing program, but I just don't buy it anymore. All they sell is a fancy GUI and some premade scripts. If I want control I guess I'll have to go to mySQL. It may be more time consuming to set up, but I spend just as much time hitting my head against a wall with FMPro! Sorry, I didn't mean for this to get to the flamer stage. I am just frustrated.

...Why won't FM give us this option?

Perhaps they will. You never know what is around the corner.

...If I want control I guess I'll have to go to mySQL. It may be more time consuming to set up, but I spend just as much time hitting my head against a wall with FMPro!...

While you're at it, you might consider paying a visit to:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/product/feature_request.html

- to make sure that FMI knows what you think FileMaker needs (assuming you haven't already done so, that is). wink.gif

This topic is 6959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.