Layout Idea Help- Lines Parallel to Sliding Text

Andragoras

This topic is 6818 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a text field that is used across multiple layouts which needs to have lines parallel to the text. The records have varying page numbers so a line of exact length will not do. The text field can't be expanded with the use of margins due to it affecting other layouts (an idea from another thread). Someome mentioned merging the line with the field for sliding, but I read that this can't be done.

Any ideas how I could have my parallel lines tongue.gif?

Hello Andragoras,

Have you thought of making the lines borders of the field itself, then applying intents (via the paragraph formats dialog) to keep the text within the field an appropriate distance from the edge where the border is.

Once you have done this, the line will slide and reduce as the field does.

I read about this technique in another thread, however for what I want this isn't applicable. The indents of the field would carry across multiple layouts for which the field is being used, in effect screwing up other layouts. Lines actually do slide, just not when overlayed on top of a field. They do not, however, resize which is I think what I'm going for. It may be that I'll have to suggest another format for those who want to use the database.

Thank you for your ideas, let me know if I'm off the mark.

I read about this technique in another thread, however for what I want this isn't applicable. The indents of the field would carry across multiple layouts for which the field is being used, in effect screwing up other layouts.

Nope, you're mistaken about that.

Indent settings are specific to one instance of a field on one layout. What you do with the indent settings on the layout in question will have no bearing on the appearance of the field elsewhere in the application.

Lines actually do slide, just not when overlayed on top of a field. They do not, however, resize which is I think what I'm going for.

True, line objects don't resize. But you can simulate resizing lines - by several means.

For example - and I hesitate to suggest it because if you can (as I suspect) use the method I described in my previous post, it will be simpler and perhaps cleaner. However it is possible to control line size to the pixel by creating a calculation field that acquires multiples of a 1px character (either vertically or horizontally or both) according to the desired height/width/placement, then size the field narrow, put a line border on one side and apply sliding/reducing characteristics to it.

The calc will then independently control the length and/or position of the resulting border line (when previewed/printed). Of course the 1px characters within the calc field will be colored to match the background so that they will not be discernible in the result.

It can be made to work. However in your case, I'd recommend that you fully explore the earlier suggestion before breaking out the big guns.

• 4 months later...

Hi Ray,

I have a similar problem, but with multiple fields across a page. It's an invoice. When I apply the borders to the fields the sizes vary according to how much text is in each field. It does not look very professional. Do you have an example of the calculation you mentioned or another way to approach this? I could e-mail you a pdf of what it looks like; this might explain it better.

This topic is 6818 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.