restricting a file to an IP

This topic is 6956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Someone had a post like this but it started to go in a strange direction and might have not been what I want. I have about 8 sites on my server. And I just added another that needs a FMP file served. I put it up and I only want that client to see only his DB when he opens the remote access. Is there some way you can set server 7 to allow only a certain IP to show only specific files?

What I mean is the website's IP not the computer they are coming from. So I have the site, pls-teachers.com and it's IP is 207.234.157.70, that company has 50 offices around the country and when someone in the office opens up the FMP file, it shows all of my FMP files as well. Wouldn't you think there would be a way in FMP server where you could pick a file and say it can only see this file or files. Because FMP server can see all 9 IPs that my server is hosting.

The setting is on the Security tab of the FMS configuration:

- display all databases

or

- display only the databases each user is authorized to access

With this last one toggled on, users will be promted for a username & pw before the list. FMS then filters the list to show only those files that have that username/pw in it.

I have been playing with it all day. It seems to work fine. I guess I just never really tried it to see how to do it. The only problem is that it asks for username and password, I enter it, then it shows what files that user has permissions for. But if you click on the file, it puts up an error and says that the user doesn't have privelages for that opperation or something... then asks to login again. The second time, with the same name and password, it works. Is this a glitch?

It should ask a second time when you open the files, that's normal (though annoying). The error you get seems to indicate that filemaker is trying SSO (single source sign-on). Meaning it's taking your Windows account credentials and trying those first. They fail so it shows the error and then the dialog.

SSO is something that works with FMP clients on Windows and FMS on Windows. SSO i s nice in this sense that it allows the user to see and open files without giving a username & pw at all. FM just uses your Windows credentials. Unfortunately it is not something you can toggle off, so if you are in an SSO scenario but don't want to use it, FM will always try it anyway.

This topic is 6956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.