Odd value list behaviour

SlimJim

This topic is 6956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a common situation - a value list to choose an ID and also showing a sorted name field. I type in the first letter of the name I want and the list always jumps to the final name on the list, I repeat the intial letter and carry on typing and there is no further problem.

Do I have an incorrect setting somewhere? Is this a know problem with FMP7 (I am using v7.03). It is going to be a real PIA when this solution goes live if the problem isn't solved.

Can't the ID be derived by a calc instead so only the human digestibles shows in the valuelist, it seems like the ID's in your list are numbers but the cathegories are textstrings. What I came to think of of was something like the stuff I attached...

--sd

testOfConcep.zip

To aaa

I can't post my file because of privacy issues. I have tried to clone a piece of my solution to demonstrate the problem but oddly enogh in a simple situation it doesn't arise. At least I now know it is a problem with something in my file.

To S

OK I have now implemented your suggestion into my solution and it works very well. The value list problem has disappeared and I only needed to add in one global text field and one extra relationship to get it working. Many thanks.

I still have no idea why the problem arose in the first place.

Added later: the change to a global text field was not a good idea, so leave that as a normal text field.

This topic is 6956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.