Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need a little help in understanding

This topic is 6863 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sorry for my confusion, but this is all relatively new to me, and I need a bit of help.

I have Filemaker 5.5 server running on a windows 2000 box. I also have a separate copy of FM 6 Unlimited. The plan is to setup a new database that will have both FM access and web access, for more than 10 users.

Do I install FM 6 Unlimited on a separate box & have it point web access to my 5.5 databases? (writting the new one in 5.5 I suppose). Or do I install FM 6 Unlimited on a separate box, write the new database in 6, & have FM6U host the database and handle the web access as well?

(FM 7 is, unfortunately, not in the company's plans anytime in the near future.)

Thanks to all for your help

Nan

Hi, Nan! I've heard that you SHOULD run them separately or risk corruption and other problems but I've heard other folks say they've done them both on 1 machine and it seems to work okay as well. I'd recommend the former, though, since FM's needs are pretty modest and you can even use older computers to host with them.

I don't have FM7, but FM5/6 Unlimited allows you to use Custom Web Publishing with CDML which is a great little way to have custom made web pages rather than relying on the built-in stuff. CDML was dropped from FM7, though, so it's on its way out but it allowed you to make search engines, signup forms, surveys, etc. without too much trouble if you could make basic web pages and didn't mind adding a few lines of code here and there like

[FMP-field: firstname] [FMP-field: lastname]

Sorry, I don't know how to connect Server to Unlimited but you might try the busier Using FileMaker Online forum if no one posts an answer here. I hear Unlimited isn't offered anymore so not many folks visit this forum these days.

--ST

This topic is 6863 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.