Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mac Sharing Issues

This topic is 6807 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm grateful for any help I can get with the following:

Running Tiger & FM 7 (regular, not server version)

a) Normal Mac file sharing works fine but when you try to open the active file remotely, it can not find the open file. Typing in the host address (fmnet:/192.168....) , you can open the file but it is very slow to get going.

B) The bigger issue is that there is a container field in each record with PDF files of each related invoice in the shared file. On the host, a double click will open them but it doesn't work remotely. They will open remotely if you open them through the Finder, just not through FM.

I've tried the path:

fmnet:/192.168.15.102/Users/Michael/Public/WSFilemaker/WS Invoices/ and

file:/Macintosh HD/Users/Michael/Public/WSFilemaker/WS Invoices/filename

Neither works. Maybe I should write an AppleScript?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to dedicate one machine to be the main database "host" and you DBs should live there. Only this machine should open them "locally". DO NOT HOLD THE FILES ON A REMOTE MACHINE. Network requests from guests are routed through the host, to the fremote file and then back through the host

FMP runs its own networking protocol, and any remote access must be done through the "Hosts" dialog. If you can't see the files there then you've probably got them "hidden". See FileMaker>Sharing>Filemaker Network Settings>Network access to file

AFAIK, Your PDF files are stored outside FMP, and only the path to them is held in FMP. The path is, in effect, local only to the host, hence the guests cannot get to them because they are interpreting the path as a local resource. You'll get worse problems if the clients start adding PDFs from their own local resources.

You need to rationalise. I suspect you've inserted files by navigating through your desktop, instead you should navigate through your Network>Servers>Your shared data, as this is also the point that other users see your machine (and vice versa) - but don't ever change the name of your machine. In an ideal world have a separate machine to hold your data.

Thanks Guys! This is a challenge and I was beginning to worry about not getting a response.

Let me backup.

The host creates PDFs of all invoices with scripts. An Apple Script gives them a unique name (e.g. 1234-Invoice.pdf) and puts them in a folder on the host. This extra invoice is in place of a hard copy four our records.

I noticed the problem of clients not being able to invoice because the storage of the PDF's but I can solve that by creating them on the host at the end of each day.

The problem is viewable access to those files through Filemaker. If you're conversing with a customer, you don't want to have to use the finder to locate the PDF--better to do it from the customer's record. I thought maybe "Open URL" script might solve this but I can't get it to work. Any ideas on how to open the PDF's from a remote machine.

Other part of question:

FMP runs its own networking protocol, and any remote access must be done through the "Hosts" dialog. If you can't see the files there then you've probably got them "hidden". See FileMaker>Sharing>Filemaker Network Settings>Network access to file

I assume this is the same as "open remote". It really won't locate an open file on its own (local hosts) but it will (after a long wait) find it if I type in the IP address. Any ideas?--mostly to make it happen quicker?

Also--I've got the file in the "Public" folder on the Host. Is that OK?

Cheers!

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6807 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.