Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Making Use of Tool Tips

SteveB

This topic is 6810 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FM added Tool Tips to Advanced (version 8), a much awaited feature. I previously used a plugin which was really not worth the effort. FMI's implementation is clearly superior to what any plugin could accomplish. First off, the tips work inside of portals, whereas the plugin only worked on the 1st row.

I set up a whole bunch of tool tips as text calculations across a number of files. However a fair number of them would work in one file, but are in another file. As an aside, I find that the Define Fields takes a relatively long time to close.

Now for the hint. Go to Link and download either of their clipboard utilities. One is freeware and for the most part works fine. The other is inexpensive at $15 but is more flexible. I find this utility to be indispensible. You can create boilerplate of calculations, functions, layout names, etc. and save them in a boilerplate list, accessible with CTRL+B (the normal history list CTRL+H). I saved the tool tip calculations (which all start with 'tt') to the boilerplate list from all files.

To use, select Tool Tips from the context menu and when the dialog appears CTRL+B brings up the entire scrollable list, where I make my selection. This is much quicker than selecting it off the field list, especially if it's not in the current file.

Steve

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6810 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.