Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Another Relationship Problem

monfa9

This topic is 8687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've just recently begun to link our companies databases, but I keep running into a problem. I am attempting to create one master Barcode Database receiving data from four different files therefore I'm assuming that they should be linked by BARCODE NUMBERS,- however upon attempting to create a look-up in this master file, I am given the notice that "This lookup uses the field "Barcode" in its definition. Choose another field". I'm sure this sounds like an easily solvable problem, but I am clueless at this point. Thanks ahead of time...

Monica

this used to happen to me all the time, then i figured it out. This happens when you try to look-up what you defined in a relationship. Which kind of makes since, how can you look-up something in one field if your telling FM to match the same field?

Anyway, you need to either define your relationship based on another field that is also in the other DB's or make ever other field in your database a look-up, leaving the Barcode field as the defined relationship field.

If your using more than two DB's, then i assume you have a respective amount of relationships based on the barcode field, so my second suggestion would make more sense (if my perspective is correct).

Hope this helps.

This topic is 8687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.