Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copying A Related Database

This topic is 8661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by tmac:

I have created a relational system among 5 databases containing different types of student data. The advantage, for me, is not having to reenter a mountain of personal information into each of the files. Several special education teachers have observed the database and requested copies for use in their classrooms. Four of the files fit on one floppy but the fifth needs a floppy of it's own. When I copy them from HD-->Floppies-->HD, the files lose track of each other. Since none of the other teachers is knowledgable enough to go into SetUp and reestablish the link, I'd have to travel not only from class to class but building to building.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Should I "save as" to the floppy then again to the next HD instead of copying? Surely there has to be a way to transfer a group of related files without losing their link. I'd appreciate any help.

Make sure that all of the files are closed and FMP is NOT running. Then use Stuffit to stuff the files. This should allow them to fit on a floppy disk. Deliver them to the others and use Stuffit to extract the files onto the harddrive.

You can even make the file self-extracting, thus not requiring Stuffit on the other end.

Filemaker does not normally lose the links, although if you have the databases set as multi-user FMP may be trying to find a particular IP address (yours). Set all of the databases to single user and make sure that the files are all in the same folder.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I have created a relational system among 5 databases containing different types of student data. The advantage, for me, is not having to reenter a mountain of personal information into each of the files. Several special education teachers have observed the database and requested copies for use in their classrooms. Four of the files fit on one floppy but the fifth needs a floppy of it's own. When I copy them from HD-->Floppies-->HD, the files lose track of each other. Since none of the other teachers is knowledgable enough to go into SetUp and reestablish the link, I'd have to travel not only from class to class but building to building.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Should I "save as" to the floppy then again to the next HD instead of copying? Surely there has to be a way to transfer a group of related files without losing their link. I'd appreciate any help.

This topic is 8661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.