Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to allow deleting one record but not ALL records

This topic is 6762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

DISABLE--correctly read "Disable"--the Delete privilege bit. Then create a script to delete just the current record and run it with full access privileges.

There are some other ways to do this as well, but that's the fastest one that comes to mind. Plus you can put all kinds of tests in the script if you want to do so.

HTH

Steven

Go to Define Acctounts & Privileges

Create a new Privilege set

Edit the new set so that the records from all tables can not be deleted or use Custom Privileges so that you can set it by each table.

Then set the account to this new Custom Priv set

You will not be able to eliminate the Delete All Records from the the pull down menu without using a plugin for FM7. Dacons Menu Control is good. In FM8 you can customize your menus.

However, if you can live with the Delete menu being greyed out, then you can set up a custom privilege set as I posted earlier. When you log back in with the user name with the privilege set, you will see the option to Delete record as well as Delete all records will be greyed out.

To allow a user to delete an individual record, you can have a button envoke a script with 'Full Access Privs' to allow the user to delete as Old Advance Man Stated earlier

John, many thanks for the alternatives, I think my best approach, which I was not aware of, will be to customize the menu for the few network users I have that will need to delete records. Does Dacon's menu-control plug-in work at the "Privilege Set" level, if so I will look into it? Thanks again, Ray

Here is a link to them.

http://www.dacons.net/fmplugins/menucontrol/prodinfo/prodinfo.html

There are lots of things you can do with the plugin including setting the right mouse button. You can load different menu sets dependant on calculations.

I apologize Ray. The custom menus are available for FM8 Advanced. You are right that Dacon does not have a plugin for 8 yet, but if you end up gettin FM8 Adv, you will not need the plugin for your purposes.

"You will not be able to eliminate the Delete All Records from the the pull down menu without using a plugin for FM7."

This is not correct. If the user's Privilege Set does not allow for record deletion, then this menu item is grayed out and does not work.

The user deletes records via a script set to Run script with full access privileges as I described in my initial answer.

The setting (privilege bit) for delete records is found in the Define Accounts & Privileges section under Privilege Sets--> records.

HTH

Steven

Hi Steven, originally I had thought that Ray stated that he wanted to 'remove' it from the list. I had posted that it was not possible for him to remove it without a plugin, but that if he could live with the fact that it was greyed out instead, then he could do as you had instructed.

Morning Steven, to clarify my original question, what I wanted to do was to either gray out or remove the "Delete All Records" from the "Records" pull-down menu of a few users.

When John indicated that FM8 Advanced would allow for customizing menus I decided to wait until I received mine (hopefully today). Not sure how this works but what I need to do is present the users with this "Records" pull-down menu which has "Delete All Records" grayed out or deleted. They will be running FM8 (not advanced).

Steven, I have been thru the "Privilege Set" setup and can only see how to either allow all record deleting or no record deleting. I can not see how to just eliminate the "Delete All Records"...Thanks to all for your kind assistance.....Ray

Steven, when you say disable the Privilege Set bit I get a "bit" confused! If I go to Define Accounts & Privileges section under Privilege Sets--> records, I can select from four options or go to Custom Privileges. Would I select the "Create & Edit in All Tables" option and then create the script to delete the current record?

Many thanks, Ray

Yes, do what you said. The fine print of Steven's posts (3 times);) "Run script with full access privileges"

It is a checkbox at the bottom of every script. Using this script you can therefore delete a record even if all of the other accounts have deletion removed from their privilege set (full access can always do anything). But ONLY via that script; and ONLY 1 record.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to add closure to this thread. I resolved the problem by using the "Custom Menu" feature provided in FMP8 Advanced. It took a bit of time since I have 6-files comprising the DB but the feature allows for quite a bit of flexibility in configuring your menus.

Thanks to all who lent their thoughts on this thread, they were much appreciated.....Ray

This topic is 6762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.