Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship Not Working....

Eunmi66

This topic is 8600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If my description is too ambiguous, please just advise. I believed I have followed all the instructions in the FMP5 manual and FMP Bible, but obviously have erred somewhere. Here is what I want to do.

I have my solutuion completed and working properly with a couple sample records contained within. Prior to distributing the solution, I would like to devise another file to hold the records and subsequently display them in the solution...i.e. use the solution itself as a "template" to display, modify, replicate and delete the records.

My thought process is that with the records "stored" in a seperate file, updating the solution will not involve exporting and importing records.

Am I all wet?....or is this a practical approach. Whatever, I can't seem to make it work. I have used a Text field (per the manual's instructions) in each file to be the relationship. Any thoughts?

Respectfully

Eun Mi

Your description is too ambiguous, but I'll take a shot.

You can display records from one file in another file BUT you must create one record in the display file for each record in the main file AND set an index for each record created in the display file to relate to one record in the main file. This is not automatic! It must be done under script control.

I'm not quite sure how you want this to work. It might be more complex than automating the import. To do much in this area you must have a good understanding of relationships.-bd

Brent,

Thank you for the explanation.

My hope was that I wouldn't store any records in the Solution, but have them all in the "Record" file. In that way I could update the solution (by replacing it with a newer version) without contaminating any records. From your explanation of my vague scenario, I conclude that I would need a record in the solution for each record in the "Record" file...i.e..10 records in the Solution matching 10 records in the "Record" file. That being the case, I must accept the records being maintained in the Solution, itself. Thank you so much for the information. Have done a lot of reading on relationships. Guess I haven't quite grasped it....yet.

Co masa mi dah

Eun Mi

This topic is 8600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.