Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relaitonships using three DBs

jstrack

This topic is 8513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I use a DB to create a list of classes that I teach.

A second DB is a list of students with misc info on each including the classes they are taking.

If I make a change in a class or correct a typo the student files are updated and everything is great.

A third database tracks detentions for students. I want the class to be included in this DB. The class information will not show up. Is this an issue with FMP?

I generally use Access where there is one DB and multiple tables. If this is a restriction in FMP I need to rethink my DBs.

Thanks in advance.

FileMaker Pro can certainly do anything that Excess, I mean Access, can do... just think of FMP's separate files equivilent to Access' tables and all will fall into place.

I think a good deal of thought needs to be put into the data structure up front. Off the cuff I'd suggest relating students to detention, and bringing across the class info through calculation fields.

Thanks for the help. This solved my problem. This has created a secondary problem being that the Teacher/Class combination I am using as a relationship for taking attendance. By using the calculation method as suggested it no longer allows for the use of the Teacher/Class combo as a valid realtionship since the combo cannot be indexed. Ideas??? Thanks again. Two problems to go and things are looking up.

quote:

Originally posted by jstrack:

I use a DB to create a list of classes that I teach.

A second DB is a list of students with misc info on each including the classes they are taking.

If I make a change in a class or correct a typo the student files are updated and everything is great.

A third database tracks detentions for students. I want the class to be included in this DB. The class information will not show up. Is this an issue with FMP?

I generally use Access where there is one DB and multiple tables. If this is a restriction in FMP I need to rethink my DBs.

Thanks in advance.

This topic is 8513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.