Server Maintenance This Week. ×

payments

nati

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I designed a database for my small business and it has client/invoice/line items/charges and payments files. Currently the payment window is in the invoice file and each payment is associated with an invoice. Now I'm thinking I'd like some clients to have the ability to run an account instead of cash and carry and I'd like to change it to have the capability of the partial payments from a client. So if a client has 12 invoices and they come in and pay me $100 I'd like to show their balance and enter the payment and then the new balance. Is this hard to do? I'm new at this and modified the Filemaker template to make it work for me but I'm stuck on this one.

Many thanks,

Nati

Actually, I described that wrong. The payment window in the invoice is a portal and can have many payments, but each is associated with that invoice. I want to be able to have a total from this client and payments on the total and not for each invoice. Am I making any sense?

Many thanks,

Natalia

The most general case is to have a "join" file between payments and invoices. This is to allow a payment to apply to multiple invoices. To run a balance, all you need to do is total invoices and payments into the client file. Account balance is just the total of invoices less the total of payments.-bd

thanks Live, for the reply.

As I said, I'm new at this and find it fascinating. The one join file I'm currently using is the line items joining the charge codes and the invoice. Now, I'm using the lookup feature to get those codes. I'm a bit confused here because there will be nothing to in payments until I enter it, thus nothing to lookup.

Sorry to be such the dunce!

Thanks,

Nati

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.