Input into related databases

helena

This topic is 8473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I am a relative newby at Filemaker, and I hope someone can help me.

I have a database with five relational files (related on unique ID numbers). I have a number of layouts, calling on fields in any one of the five files. What I want to do is input names into the main layout page, then move to another layout which shows whether the person has contributed to the organisation before. I have a tick box which when ticked automatically generates that person as a contributor.

In the related layout, the person's name is only shown if the person is a contributor, together with their unique contributor number (not the same field). This worked fine when I had the five different files and wasn't actually putting data into the database.

Now when I input names, the names are being inputted into the main file, but only certain details into the related file. This means that their name does not show in the name field, unless I physically type it in.

I don't want to have huge files with each one having the same information, but how can I get the names into the field without having to put in a new field linked to the main database (because this shows everyone, and everyone is not a contributor). The database needs to be used by complete novices, which will confuse them.

Thanks very much

This topic is 8473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.