Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Dumb Bar Code Question

This topic is 6761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is going to sound so basic, I hate to ask...

But....how do you create/generate barcodes? I can't find anything in the FMP documentation.

Is it as simple as having a "barcode font", so if I auto-generate an order number then in the result field I choose "barcode" as the font? Is there more to it?

I've been searching the forum but can't find this most basic question answered. This is new to me and trying to learn how to develop it for a customer.

thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

(Soon to upgrade to 8, server 8, and FMP8 Advanced)

Steve:

Please don't triple-post. I have deleted the other two posts identical to this one.

It is indeed as simple as using a barcode font. There are a number of different standard fonts, such as code 39, code 128, etc. You can find a ton of barcode resources at these two sites:

http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/barcode.html

http://www.briandunning.com/bar-code/

The simplest way to look at barcoding is that it is a way to automate data entry. When you scan in a barcode, you are putting data into a field, the same as if the data was typed in. You can, of course, add data beyond the what's in the barcode - preambles and postambles - and they can trigger scripts, etc.

Anyway, dig into those two websites, and come on back with more questions once you really get going.

-Stanley

Can you suggest a suitable font that I might look to download? it seems like there are literally hundreds to choose from.

My application is pretty simple, I'm just lokking to change a serial number like AS-4001 into a barcode.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Steve:

Glad to have been of help. I have never used Brian's solution, so if you find it useful, I'd appreciate it if you could post a short note about it here some time in the future, for others to refer to.

-Stanley

This topic is 6761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.