Field Cooments and Tool Tips question....

BrentHedden

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings everyone

I wanted to see if there is an easier way to do what I'm doing.

I'm using a combination of the Field Comments and Tooltips feature to give the user more explanation what a particular field is for besides the small field label next to it. I've used this calc in defining the Tooltip -

FieldComment ( FileName; Get ( ActiveFieldName ) )

Which works great, but obviously the user has to click in/on the field to make it the ActiveField, and for the Tooltip to show up.

This might be a bit cumbersome to some users. Is there a better way to do this (have the tooltip come up without having to click in the field), without hardcoding the Tooltip calc? Or in other words, still the use field comment in the tooltip.

Even if there is no solution, any useful ways people have used tooltips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am not sure if its possible to pass the field comments because hovering over a field does nothing to tell filemaker what field name it is.

Maybe you can live with having a global repeating field that you can reference your tool tip info to. Its better than going and hard coding them into each field.

Hmm - repeating field huh? Yea, that would work, and wouldn't be too difficult to change the info if need be (Just have a special layout to display/edit all the repetitions).

Good idea - thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi Brent, and others.

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, but it comes really close to what I've been trying to accomplish. (see example file attached)

I could not get the Active field to work either, and when I tried to make a Custom Function out of the thing, nothing worked.

I guess I have two separate questions.

1). Has anyone come up with a way to pull out the File and Field information for a calculation like I'm using in the ToolTips.

2). I'm not very good a making Custom Functions, so if you have one that will work, I would really appreciate help with one.

My goal is to have the field comments available to me in Browse mode, so that I don't have to go in and out of Define Fields to check and see what the field is for. At some point, I will want to be able to turn them on and off using a boolean statement.

TIA

Kia

ToolTipTip.fp7_2.zip

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.