relational db's via tcp/ip sharing

This topic is 8324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi folks,

i'm a newbie, so please forgive me if this has been covered.

i'm trying to build a relational db over tcp sharing. i have several regional centers which i would like to pull specific info from into my local master db.

i've got it to work (in a simple manner so far) BUT for some reason the db's can't be open in two locations at the same time. this is a problem cuz the regional centers will need these db's open at all times. i keep getting an error message regarding file locking.

the db's are in multi-user mode, all the plug-in's are active, and i am stumped. can i not see the trees for the forest?

your humble grommet,

icefield

hi garry,

here's the situation. i have IP sharing set up on both the host and client computer. the db on the client is a relational db to the 3 db's on the host. all of the db's are set to multi user. when i open the client db, the relationship works and the windows menu lists the host db's in parenthiesis. the problem is that when i try to open the db's on the host computer, i get the message about the files being locked. i need to have these db's open on the host computer.

this is in a OS9/OSX environment......

regards,

ezra

Here is what I am assuming that you are doing, based on your posts:

You setup FILE sharing on the computers (i.e. they can see and open each others files). Then you setup the Filemaker databases on the "host" as multiuser. The "client" then opens those files, and when you try to open them on the "host" computer you get the error.

You made several mistakes: First FILE sharing is not necessary and not recommended, Filemaker contains all of the functionality to make the databases available. You need to open ALL of the databases on the "host" computer FIRST, then you launch Filemaker (the application ONLY) on the "client" computer, select Open from the File menu and click the Hosts button. Now you can open the first database and the other should open as well.

Once this is working, ask us how to setup a "launcher file" to make this process alot easier.

quote:

Originally posted by icefield:

...file sharing should NOT be on?...the "Local Data Access Companion" and the "Remote Data Access Companion" plug-ins are active on both computers.

File sharing should NEVER be turned on when hosting databases, this will cause you no end of problems. Neither the LDAC or RDAC plugins are needed for opening hosted files either. Disable both of them.

Now make sure that you have the latest revision of FMP installed on ALL systems. You do not say what version you are using so I cannot say what the latest revision is. Check Filemaker's website for updates.

Make sure that all systems are set for TCP/IP networking, and that when launching Filemaker you see a message to the effect of "TCP/IP successfully loaded" on the splash screen.

If you still have problems a call to Filemaker, Inc tech support might be in order. I am sure that they have a step by step procedure for diagnosing your exact problem.

hi folks,

i think i have found the culprit, and it would be none other than OSX. (i thirst for 10.1!)

when attempting this in a strictly OS9 enviro, rather than classic mode, it works without a flaw.

thanks again for your patience, and wisdom.

regards,

ezra

hi kurt,

so file sharing should NOT be on? the Host function does not work no matter what i try. nothing comes up in the host window even if i enter the IP address. no matter what, i consistantly get this error message...... "<filename> cannot be opened as read-only in it's current state. please unlock the file and open and close it before attempting to lock the file again." the db's are not locked nor are they in read only mode. the "Local Data Access Companion" and the "Remote Data Access Companion" plug-ins are active on both computers.

thanks again for all the help! please let em know if you need more info......

regards,

ezra

This topic is 8324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.