Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script fired w/o plugin !

This topic is 6737 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

No. It's not event on exit. All that happens on exit is that you tab into a button, which you now can do in version 8. Fact is you have to press Return TWICE between fields - once to exit the field, second time to activate the button you have tabbed into.

While on the subject - has anyone figured out what tabbing into a tab control panel might be goood for?

Hi comment

The only use I can see for it is that it allows you to change tabs from the keyboard. Once you have tabbed into the tabcontrol then the left and right arrow keys move from tab to tab and enter opens the tab - but what do you do after that? I don't know.

Oh, arrows... it never occured to me to try that.

I suppose it is required, because just tabbing never gets you to other panels. So, if you have field1 outside the tab control, field2 in panel 1, and field3 in panel 2, to fill them all you'd need to:

tab to field1

tab to field2 (panel 1 being the default)

tab to tab control

right arrow

enter

tab to field3

tab to a button

enter to activate the button that validates your entry and gets you a new blank form.

However, this time around panel2 is selected, so now you need to:

tab to field1

tab to tab control

left arrow

enter

tab to field2

tab to tab control

right arrow

enter

tab to field3

tab to a button

enter

Now you are back where you started, so your tabbing order alternates on each round. Not very pretty.

That's an interesting discovery Daniele. I think that it could be useful under many conditions.

Let's say a search engine where the field is the criteria and the double-return is the trigger to run the search process. No button and no plug-in here.

The advantage with your method is that no calculation has to be re-evaluated to trigger the script. Using a plug-in, if the trigger is into an Auto-Enter option, you need to commit a change in the content of the field to trigger the same script.

But actually, I don't really understand why the Return key is causing the script to be launched and why the Tab and the Enter key doesn't. Is this a kind of unwanted phenomenon by FMI who will become a new feature in future versions ?? I don't know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.