Server Maintenance This Week. ×

View List in IWP only shows...?

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Portalviews isn't limited, so you might make the selection a selfjoin.

But I seems to remember that something changed with an update ...so you migt give your copy of filemaker all the free updates availiable. If it still refuses - then turn to the selfjoin.

--sd

Make sure you're using the most recent updates for IWP in v7. FMI changed the record limit from 5 to 25 records somewhere around 7v3. FMP 8 keeps the new 25 record limit. (I think the limit for table view is 50 now, but I'm not sure as I never use table view in IWP)

Sorry may i ask what you mean by self join?

In your table, make a new field let's call it "Link", then go to the relations def and make a connection type X (cartesian product) between the first and a copy of your TO with this particular field.

Close the relations def, and delete the newly created field "Link" ...since cartesian products doesn't require indexes to lean up against.

Then are you to create a portal based on this relationship in a form layout including the needed fields and a scrollbar, and you're abel to show endless number of records of the tabels content in IWP!

--sd

Hi sd

erm.. sorry im still quite new to filemaker, dun really understand.. Can someone help me by showing a life example of it as i really wish to learn..

Actually in 1 of my form(something like po), i have many lines. And i created lots of field e.g. item1, item2, item3 and ... cost1, cost2, cost 3 and... in the end so many fields in my database. I remember i saw somewhere that it should can use portal doing it but i am having problem with that, and i though portal is used to shows records taken from different tables??

Advice will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks a lot..

Kelvin

I remember i saw somewhere that it should can use portal doing it but i am having problem with that, and i though portal is used to shows records taken from different tables??

It could be from the same tabel, sometimes refered to as selfjoins, what it is in contemporary Filemaker'ish, is it linking made between two table occurences (TO's) stemming from the same table.

But I've made you a template that shows it, containing a whopping 2048 records, so when you go to the third layout via IWP is it going to take some time for the page to render, since all values needs to get stored in some variables the browser can read from, so it in boyscout manner are prepared for the user to pull the scrollbar to a new position.

But when it comes to it, who wish to watch so many records in one view ...so when things are organized in a practical solution are other filterings applied as well, to the selfjoin defition in order to strain the selection of records to view thru the portal!

Remember that the reason why we use databases is a desire to turn data into information by organization ...some use the phrasing "Vessels of meaning"

--sd

toKelvin.zip

Hi sd

Thanks so much for ur time, I understand now. I need to create a table in the new layout, and replace my those fields with portal!

Some questions..

'since cartesian products doesn't require indexes to lean up against.' <-- ?_? don't understand..

How you actually able to create 2048 records??!!! haha..

Possible to break portal views into pages?

(TO) referring to table orders???

Thanks so much..

Kelvin =)

since cartesian products doesn't require indexes to lean up against.' <-- ?_? don't understand..

All other relation types, needs two fields, where at least one of the TO provides an index for the relation to work, usually the many side of a one2many.

How you actually able to create 2048 records??!!! haha..

By applescript:

tell application "FileMaker Pro Advanced"

repeat 11 times

duplicate every record

end repeat

end tell

Possible to break portal views into pages?

Yes absolutely!! - You wish to get rid of the scroll bar and cut it up in smaller cuncks such as 30 lines on each page?? When you draw the portal are you prompted for both "Initial Row" and "Number of Rows" ...you should perhaps experiment a little to see the concept behind. But the cool thing is that you can split a long list up in several tabs in a tabbed layout making it posible for the user to, instead of scrolling to the very end of one single portal view, grap the rightmost tab if it show the last say 30 records.

(TO) referring to table orders???

No I'm afraid not - read this: http://www.digfm.org/ref/FM7_key_concepts.pdf

--sd

Hi sd

icic, Thanks a lot for your time.

Im using list view now, but what considerations should i look into whether to use portal or list view?? which one is better??

Applescript?? where can i get it?? ease to use??

I will be looking into the files and video~

Thanks a lot..

Kelvin =)

It's called VBScript in your neck of the wo.... sorry machinery. Not quite sure if you do exactly the things I use applescript for but Wim has made a extensive collection of VBscripts interacting with filemaker: http://www.connectingdata.com/VBscripts_repository_v1_0.zip

--sd

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.