Relationship masters

smudge11

This topic is 8271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, Is it possible for the result of one relationship to become the master for another relationship? I wish to be able to select a client from a list, that then limits the choices I have for contacts. This much I have working. Now I want the individual contact information to be displayed relating to the contact name, not the client. Can I make multi-level relationships?

What I have is a client field that is a menu list. Once you choose the client, a relationship defines a value list of contacts at that company. What I need is for the choice of contact name to then display the correct phone number and email for that person. I guess I can't use the contact person as the master for a new relationship, so how do I relate to the necessary information about each individual person?

Drop down lists can show two fields and enter the data from the first field. Make the first field the Contact ID and the second the name. The Contact ID will be entered and used to trigger the related display of the phone number.

-bd

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

I'm confused, or possibly not explainig myself correctly. I don't see how the two fields of the value list helps me. I have 3 fields. Field one is a list. A choice in filed one defines the value list by relationship for field two. What I need is a choice from field two to define field three. If I create the client ID field, it still is derived from a relationship and cannot be the master for the relationship for the third field. It's looking like I have to use two fields for the value list of field one, which makes my list much longer. I was hoping to avoid this.

Not correct. A value list based upon a relationship does not mean that the value selected can't be used in a relationship. The validity of the the relationship goes with the field, not how the value entered into the field was selected. The validity of the relationship based upon Client ID does not depend how the value for Client ID was selected.

-bd

This topic is 8271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.